It is the common knowledge that exposure to noise over 90 dB for extended periods of time can cause permanent hearing damage, and that for many people hearing loss is part of aging. However, the patterns are starting earlier than ever. Educational toy makers require young kids to use ear buds to listen to computerized learning devices. Moreover, cars come equipped with video players that young children watch with ear buds. Today, people can’t escape the new world of sound.
Health professionals now have an opportunity to give patients a responsible way to take advantage of the latest technologies without putting their hearing at greater risk by using custom hearing protection.
Custom hearing protection devices like in-ear monitors are individually crafted to provide an ultimate sound experience and comfortable and secure fit while focusing on hearing preservation. Although, conventional custom hearing aids have been in use for at least 40 years, their materials and means of manufacture have seen remarkable improvements, and the ability to provide in-the-ear fit testing has been incorporated in some products, to enhance their fundamental form and function.
Custom hearing protection devices offer numerous advantages for their users. Some of the most substantial benefits of custom hearing protection are:
- Custom-made hearing protection aids are manufactured to fit individual ears, providing repeatable performance, consistent protection and increased comfort for longer periods of time.
- Custom hearing protection devices are available in a variety of medical-grade silicone and vinyl materials to reduce irritation of sensitive ears.
- Custom products are designed for several years of reliable use. Long life results in low cost per individual per day.
- Custom hearing protectors are designed to fit in the ear in only one way. Right/left identification dots or designators are available on all custom products.
- Custom hearing aids provide greater protection when maximum noise reduction with a single hearing protector is required
Care and Maintenance of Custom Hearing Protection products is vital to ensure longevity of your custom hearing protectors. Cleaning them regularly and paying close attention to their maintenance is important to ensure their continued performance. Custom hearing protectors should be cleaned of cerumen (ear wax) and dirt after each use. Rubbing alcohol and harsh detergents can harden and yellow soft ear plug materials. Use a damp cloth and water for longer life. For maximum protection, “full-shell” style protectors are recommended.
Because your ears are unique, just like your fingerprints, only custom-made hearing protection can provide great fit, superior comfort and repeatable effectiveness. Upgrade your Sound Experience with a pair of custom molded in-ear monitors. Conveniently located in San Diego, North County Audiology offers custom-fit hearing protection devices in a wide variety of styles and colors appropriate to any application, from work to play. Our custom devices provide hours of clear, crisp, fatigue-free listening.
For more information about custom hearing protection, the products available or to schedule an appointment, contact the North County Audiology hearing care professional in San Diego. Call (858) 240-4722 now!